Saturday, September 18, 2010

likes quiet mornings



I love quiet mornings. I like waking up because your body is ready to stop sleeping, then opening the window to feel some fresh air, fresh sunlight. Walking across hard wood floors by myself. Cooking eggs, toast, pouring coffee. All in a gentle quiet.

Infants come from a warm womb with lulling bodily sounds into a loud, cold, (probably) hospital room. If they are healthy, they cry. I might still be like a baby. I need to accustom myself to the sounds and sights of the day. If I do get this pleasant time... I coo a little bit. If I don't... well, credit to my family and best friend for bearing the brunt of this.

"each pond with its blazing lilies
is a prayer heard and answered
lavishly,
every morning,
whether or not
you have ever dared to be happy,
whether or not
you have ever dared to pray."
Mary Oliver - Morning Poem

No comments:

Post a Comment