Tuesday, October 12, 2010

mom and dad


When I graduated from college I knew that I wanted to go to seminary. Yet, I resisted the urge to jump from institution to institution. Instead, I decided to spend my first year out of college living with my parents in Nyack, NY. I don't know how much I expressed this, but my goal was to make sure that i have a strong, adult relationship with my parents. When else in life do we get to choose our location with such ease?

When I look back on this past year I think of a wonderful work situation at Maria Luisa Boutique and well spent time with family and friends. It was a year of becoming grounded and secure in knowing where I come from.

This past week, I caught up with my mom on the phone and, soon after, knew that my goals for the past year have been realized. My mom and dad and I have gotten to enjoy each other, laugh together, have many serious conversations - both all together and in pairs - that have helped us to know and appreciate each other. When my brother has been home from school, I've gotten to spend time with him and see how he's growing and enjoying life. I'm very thankful for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment